Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

The Guest Book by Sarah Blake

Wow, wow, wow, wow and wow!!  There are few books that stop me in my tracks and cause me to really think about who I am and what I believe about the human race and our treatment of each other, but Sarah Blake’s The Guest Book did just that and more.  As a former English teacher, I often come across books that I believe would be great novels to read and discuss and write about, and Blake’s book is one in that catagory for sure.  The interesting thing about this book is that there are so many themes, so many great characters, so many social issues I would hardly know where to begin if I tried to use it in a class.  There are at least 7 characters who are deserving of in depth discussion.  These characters are so real it is easy to find yourself thinking about them long after you put the book down wondering if you are like them or how you would react to them if you met them face to face.  Likewise, there are so many social issues that beg for illumination and exam.  The rise of Nazi Germany, capitalism, racism, class distinctions, sexuality are all integrated into this story of three generations and are all handled with a deft hand by the author.  And certainly there are themes such as feminism, family dynamics, and racial inequality that are ageless and which demand discussion and reflection.  This book was not one that I would describe as an easy read.  The author spent eight years writing it and clearly it was a act of love.  I was struck many times by the way Blake interweaves three different generations within one page of writing.  Truly a magnificently drawn story.  This is the book I will recommend throughout this year.  Great read!!

1 comment:

  1. It’s always good to have a book that’s been highly recommended. I love reading what you have to say about the books you read.

    ReplyDelete